Friday, September 18, 2009

Joel Plaskett...A Fashionable Person

So, currently I am listening to five albums to the point of driving everyone in my life crazy. Revolver (The Beatles), Armistace (Mutemath), Baroness (Sarah Slean), Fantasies (Metric) and Three (Joel Plaskett).
The thing about Joel Plaskett is that he played the Classic Theatre in May and I fell in love. He might be my boyfriend, I'm just saying.
Joel Plaskett's 'Three' is simply a work of art, and along with Metric's 'Fantasies' is competing for the prestigious Polaris Music Prize.
The Polaris is given based souly on artistic merit and is an award that comes with a $20,000 gift card to everywhere. Past winners include Final Fantasy, Andorra and Patrick Watson (who shut out Plaskett's 'Ashtray Rock' in 2007). These artists and albums are not for the music-meek...they are chewier, more challenging, creative and of course, Canadian.
This year, other albums on the short-list of nominees include Mountain Meadows (Elliott Brood), The Chemistry of Common Life (Fucked Up), Lost Channels (Great Lake Swimmers), Into Your Lungs (Hey Rosetta), Labyrinths (Malajube), Soft Airplane (Chad Van Gaalen) and Wooden Arms (Patrick Watson)...but I'm still backing Plaskett...because as I mentioned, we date.
The Polaris is being awarded Monday night by the Grand Jury. I'll be watching for Classic Theatre alum Plaskett, in his fashionable sweater-vest...wishful thinking, or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment